Monday, November 26, 2012

Oso

It has been a very difficult weekend for us here. It starts about  6 years ago more or less. My daughter had moved into an apartment with 2 other roommates who already owned a dog. Her roommates had a falling out and separated, drama ensued.  Well one evening when my daughter was at her boyfriends house, (he later became her husband) one of the X roommates drove by shoved the dog out and pretty much said here you take her. My daughter has a big heart and took Oso in even though her boyfriends apt complex did not allow dogs. Eventually they moved in together into another apartment that did allow dogs.
 At this point I need to tell you  Oso comes with issues. According to my daughters X roommates, (female couple for the record) they had gotten Oso from an abusive situation. Oso hated men was unsocialized , has trust issues and had a submissive peeing issue. 
Time goes by  Oso is well taken care of and loved by my daughter and her husband. She was taken to the vet when needed. They paid for an eye surgery she had done and her shots were always up to date. She had some lumps they had her tested to make sure it wasn't cancer. Turned out it was fatty cells. Still she continued to have social issues. On two separate occasions one I was told about and one when I was there Oso went after my son in laws Father and on another nipped Bailey, (our chiweenie) and continued to distrust most people. I say nipped because no stitches were needed. The bite would not have happened except I took my eyes off of Bailey and Oso and Oso took that second to go after Bailey. It happened that fast.
 Anyhow, during this time between when Oso was dropped into my daughters lap and now Oso got over her fear of men and stopped submissive peeing her social issues with other animals improved but she never became totally trustworthy and we kept her muzzled when around other animals. Eventually due to finances, increased rent, dept, education loans my daughter and her husband moved in with us. We put up baby gates everywhere, kept the pups and Oso apart when she was unmuzzled and managed. Our biggest fear I think this whole time was if we went to the shelter they would euthanize her because she would be deemed unadoptable. My daughter became pregnant she is due in March. The issue of what to do with Oso has had all of us but especially my daughter and her husband torn for months now. That  Oso poses a threat to the baby's safety is not even a question in any of our minds. She needs training we do not have the funds to provide for her. At one point we thought well maybe we could set up a kennel for her in the garage. But what if when the baby starts to walk he figured out how to open the door and would being in the garage really be a fair way for Oso and us to live. So my daughter contacted paws filled out paper work and had a consult. Paws said they would not take her after reviewing the paperwork and 2 telephone consults. 
Sadly this weekend the decision was made to take her to the shelter. The paper work was filled out and they interviewed my son in law who gave over all the information we have on Oso which included the names of my daughters X roommates. Oso rubbed her head on the leg of one of the shelters workers. A good sign because thank goodness she did not show aggression. My husband looked around the shelter it is clean, modern and they only had a few dogs up for adoption. While there he said there was a steady flow of people coming in looking to adopt animals. I think he said each dog had it's own kennel and there was an area where the dogs got exercise or that the handlers there walk them. A fee was paid and it was the hardest thing my son in law has ever had to do. He broke down in the car in tears. Before my son in law and husband had even returned home the shelter called my son in law and told them Oso had a micro chip and they asked him if he knew the name of the owner listed on the chip. Both my daughter and her husband do not know the person. And my daughter can't remember who her X roommate said she had gotten Oso from. Our hope is that Oso will be reunited with her true owner or will find someone willing to adopt her and invest time in her training. If the owner doesn't claim her my son in law told me the shelter said she would be listed as adoptable to a family without children or other pets. She really is a good dog when there are no other animals around and she learns to trust you. So there have been many tears shed this weekend. We won't know what happens to Oso but we are hopeful. When you release an animal to the shelter you give up all rights to knowing what happens to the animal. The fact that they called and let my son in law know she had a micro chip was encouraging though.
Some of you reading this might be angry. Might even want to say hurtful things to myself and my family. We did what we thought was best for Oso for as long as we were able. Bottom line though we have to think of the safety of our future grandchild and our 3 other dogs. I can not stress the importance of socializing a dog enough. I also can not stress the importance of having a dog that is thrown into your lap checked for a micro chip even if your afraid they might euthanize it. We had no idea Oso had an owner out there. We can only speculate as to how Oso landed in the hands of my daughters X roommates.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and viewing my blog.